They say that it is not hard to look for Tech Support Jobs near me and work as a technical supporter. Is that the truth? Overall, most tech support jobs do not require special certificates or qualifications. But in reality, it’s not straightforward to get these jobs. Why? The issues may be on your CV – the first thing that helps employers assess each candidate. But how can you prepare an impressive resume? All essential skills and qualifications you need for your CV will be here!
IT Support Technician – A day in the life
Tech Support Jobs – Job Overview
Specialist in technical support, who are they? They are the specialists who help users with software, hardware, and even peripheral devices, such as scanners or printers. Recent graduates often work as technical supporters prior to getting started in a higher position like IT specialists, supervisors, leaders or managers.
For illustration, IT technical supporters will oversee, operate, and maintain a company’s computer systems and the internal network. They will be introduced to and learn specifically how to install and set up computer systems, fix software and hardware errors, and solve various other technological issues.
Every facilitator may have one or more areas of expertise, depending on the organization; some unique technical assistance roles include:
- applications support specialist
- help-desk operator
- maintenance engineer
What do tech supporters do? Source: ntt-supercare365
What Are Their Duties & Responsibilities?
You have to make sure your computer systems run smoothly and that all users get the most out of them. Every organization will have its own set of requirements and obligations for each tech supporter, yet the following will be a supporter’s missions:
- Install and set up operating systems and applications for computers.
- Maintain and monitor computer systems and networks.
- Assist systems setup or handle all issues related to computer systems.
- Troubleshoot device and network faults, as well as diagnose and resolve hardware and software issues.
- Replace parts as required.
- Assist procedural and reporting support.
- Abide the written instructions.
- Support the rollout of new applications.
- Set up and deal with password issues, new users’ accounts, and profiles.
- Respond to call-outs within agreed deadlines.
Technical supporters make sure your computer systems run smoothly. Source: aubertduval
Tech Supporters’ Income
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the annual midpoint salary of IT supporters is $ 52,270. The top ten percent made more than 76,970 dollars, while the lowest 10% (often for entry-level IT support jobs) earned less than 28,300 dollars. The figures in these positions are substantially below an average of 73,710 dollars in the same year as for other computer jobs. The tech supporters’ midpoint salary is much higher than the average of all jobs in the U.S. – with a median pay of $33,840 per annum.
Are you seeking IT jobs in Las Vegas? Getting started with technical support jobs could be great. Besides Las Vegas, let’s check out the midpoint salary of tech supporter by States, then you might as well change your workplace to improve your income:
- Massachusetts: $56,400 ($36,900 to $90,200)
- California: $52,300 ($31,100 to $87,200)
- New York: $50,600 ($30,800 to $84,400)
- Washington: $49,300 ($31,900 to $83,600)
- Texas: $47,000 ($28,600 to $80,400)
- Oregon: $46,300 ($30,800 to $71,500)
- Arizona: $45,000 ($28,500 to $72,200)
- Georgia: $44,500 ($25,900 to $71,700))
- Michigan: $43,200 ($25,900 to $69,100)
- Ohio: $42,000 ($26,900 to $68,100)
- Tennessee: $42,000 ($27,300 to $65,200)
- Florida: $40,700 ($26,800 to $63,700)
How much a tech supporter could earn? Source: techmerry
How About Their Working Hours? Are All Tech Support Jobs Near Me Typical 9-To-5 Jobs?
Depending on the job’s demand, you could expect working in shifts or be on call, and additional hours to get the job done may be necessary.
Unlike small companies, many organizations don’t offer part-time work opportunities. Career breaks are infrequent because software and operating systems must always be up to date.
Recently, the handling of repairs and upgrades for homemade consumers or small businesses offers self-employment opportunities. Hence, plenty of technical supporters work as freelancers instead of going to the office day by day.
Career Prospects And Advancement Opportunities
Technology has grown and expanded at an incredible rate in recent years. Large enterprises with rich infrastructure need to handle their different business areas with various technical issues. Because many technology systems of the company need supervising, which will require several support groups. Accordingly, a significant increase in the need for technical supporters occurs more and more.
According to BLS, between 2019 and 2029, the employment of IT (information technology) supporters is expected to increase by 8%, which is pretty fast compared to other jobs. Also, technical support jobs will mostly occur in cloud computing, healthcare, and IT.
In reality, the entry-level tech supporters are in charge of fixing and supporting computers errors of customers and internal users. They’ll be promoted to higher positions after performing well at work. Hardware and software supporters usually get promoted rapidly, whether software developers or network and IT administrators.
Tech support jobs’ outlook. Source: transcosmos.co.uk
What Kinds Of Soft Skills Do Technical Supporters Need?
Of course, they also need other soft skills, as well as technical and computer repair skills. Qualifications are like luggage that helps them achieve a better job promotion. The requirements of a technical supporter include:
- Logically, the capacity of logical thinking
- A great memory of how operating systems and software work
- Excellent listening skills and questioning combined with the ability to connect with consumers with the confidence to understand the problem and explain the solution
- The ability to teamwork well
- Ability to fix the issue
- Endure the pressure
- Track the detail
Educational Requirements & Qualifications
How about the educational requirements of tech supporters? Source: perso-plankontor
In reality, tech support jobs are generally not too difficult for new graduates, but the first step is to follow this job to learn from their experience. They will then move to more specialized positions. Knowledge of the following subjects will be essential for further development of a tech support:
- business information technology
- business systems engineering
- computer networking and hardware
- computer science
- computer software development
- internet engineering
- software engineering
All these positions do not require qualifications. Nevertheless, lots of employers will have higher demands for a respective degree or IT major certification. What’s more, if the candidate is familiar with Linux, Cisco, and Microsoft Suite, it is a big plus.
In A Nutshell
All in all, technical supporters help solve and fix a variety of computer software and hardware-related problems. In the IT organizations or IT departments in companies, they play a significant role.
Hence, why don’t you kick off your career path with Tech Support Jobs Near Me? Nail it!
Grasp Your Attention: